The Independent - Faith Healer (2006)

Hier findet ihr alte Interviews und Berichte von Ralph.

The Independent - Faith Healer (2006)

Beitragvon AmonFan » 12.02.2006, 19:12

The Independent (February 12, 2006)

The Faith Healer, Gate Theatre, Dublin

Masterly, unreliable memoirs
By Kate Bassett

I thought I must have been imagining things but Ralph Fiennes really is - as had been rumoured - starring in a revival of Brian Friel's (arguably) greatest play in Dublin, directed by Jonathan Kent and transferring thence to Broadway. "That is happening, but we've not sent out a press release," the theatre told me a few days before opening night (and just before the media furore about Fiennes's private life).

This was a strangely apt prologue to Faith Healer's eerie sequence of monologues where you never quite know what is fact or fabulation or whether the unreliable witnesses materialising out of the darkness are flesh and blood or ghostly hallucinations. Fiennes's outwardly cool Frank is the miracle-worker (or was he only a charlatan?); Ingrid Craigie's Grace, is his shaky ex-mistress (or was she his wife?), and Ian McDiarmid's Teddy his superficially chirpy former manager. Each confides in us, recounting increasingly painful memories of touring round small dusty halls on Britain's Celtic fringes, with Frank sometimes unfathomably curing the sick, other times failing, drinking and viciously quarreling with Grace.

This is an extraordinarily rich, elusively looping piece of writing. Fiennes brings out a surprisingly dry humour and chattiness in Frank underlaid by deep bitterness, vulnerability and grief. Craigie has a touching core of still-girlish charisma and McDiarmid is wonderfully funny, as well as quietly heartbroken, as the old cockney raconteur. One audience member booed over the final warm applause, seemingly unable to distinguish between Fiennes's life and his art.
Bild
Hinweis: Falls in gewissen Gesprächsrunden einfach mal der Sinn fehlt, dann war es der Edit-Button!!!!
AmonFan
Ralphs Sonnenschein
Ralphs Sonnenschein

Zurück zu Ralph - Archiv